Create an account by SMS
- Send a text message to 8987 (TWTR)* with the word START
8987 is the code for New Zealand. Telecom provider 2 Degrees might not yet support Twitter.
- Twitter will send you a reply and ask you to reply with the word 'SIGNUP' to create a new account. Send 'SIGNUP'.
- Next, Twitter will ask you to pick a username. Your username must be unique and less than 15 characters, with no spaces or special characters (underscore is the only exception). Reply with the username you want.
If the username is taken, Twitter will give you three attempts to select a unique one.
If you're out of ideas, Twitter will suggest and assign you an alternate username. If you want a new one later, it's easy to visit Twitter.com and change your username from the web settings.
- You will get a confirmation message when you pick a unique username (Twitter will tell you to pick a new name if someone else has the username you wanted).
- Choose a password.
- You're all set! Send a message and it will post as your first Tweet.
- Simply go to www.twitter.com and click Sign in, then click Already using Twitter on your phone?
- Read our article about accessing your web profile for more information.